Nov 1, 2012

NaNoWriMo OR AnAmWriGo


This year I'm instating AnAmWriGo: Annual Amazing Writing Goal. AnAmWriGo means that I pick a (amazing) writing goal for the month of November. It could be NaNoWriMo, or it could be a goal to:

- Finish writing a novel draft
- Finish editing a novel draft
- Write five short stories, essays, or poems a week.
- Write one short story, essay, or poem a week.
- Write five hundred words a week.
- Attempt NaNoWriMo, even if I don't finish 50,000 words.
- Polish up pieces to submit to as many writing contests in December as you can.
- Or anything else I want!

When I started thinking about NaNoWriMo several weeks ago, I honestly wondered if I'm up to it (I know, this is overzealous Jenn--very surprising). I've had a lot going on this year (as you know!), and I'm not sure I'm in an organized enough place in life right now to dedicate a whole month to writing. On the other hand, I have LOVED participating the past two years. Each time has been quite a writer-changing experience for me. I also hate to miss out or fail!

Additionally, I also thought about how this year I completed a huge life goal by running a marathon. I feel really great about completing my ultimate fitness goal, but what about my writing goals? I was spending over ten hours a week running at the peak of my training. I can't even imagine how much I could further my writing goals if I dedicated myself to them that much.

I can't dedicate myself to all my life goals at once. Definitely my primary goals are to live the gospel and be a good wife and mother. Fitness and health is a big deal for me too (if you couldn't tell). But just after living a righteous and healthy life on my priority list is the huge dream I have about writing.

I'm not sure what my November goal is going to be, but I'm going to have one. This big life dream of mine deserves it, and so do I.

No comments:

Post a Comment